Sunday, February 21, 2010

Cannibal Holocaust

So Saturday night I went to the Sunshine theater in the Lower East Side to go check out the movie "Cannibal Holocaust". I'm a member of a Long Island Horror Movie group and I was meeting up with a girl from the group (sounds a bit weird and just full of bad ideas) in the city where we went to a couple of cool dive bars nearby the theater. We got there and I found out that the theater had recently shown "The Dark Crystal" and would be showing "Aliens" at midnight which automatically makes it an awesome theater in my book.

With that being said, "Cannibal Holocaust" was definitely the goriest most messed up movie I have seen in a long, long while. Made in the 80's it is essentially a similar plot to "Blair Witch Project" but much different. A bunch of American film students go missing in the South Americas and their possessions and remains are found with a cannibalistic tribe. The people who find the film from the film crew piece it together to show how the students essentially went batshit insane and turned into horrible human beings who burned a village, killed and raped people and even filmed members of their own crew being killed and eaten by the cannibals. The worst thing that was probably the most stomach churning of the entire movie was when they killed and ripped apart a live turtle. Yes that's right, an actual flesh and blood turtle was killed and ripped apart while it was still alive and the camera man simply cannot help but watch the entire gruesome act. While my stomach has a strong constitution, I was still feeling a bit queasy afterwards. Some people however had to leave the theater (including the girl I watched it with, but she came back for the rest of the movie). The movie is Italian, and has some dubbing, but is mostly in English. I found out before I saw the film that the movie was banned in a bunch of countries because it is seen as a snuff film. Italy almost charged the director with three counts of murder for his actors who were thought to be actually dead! The director had to actually ask his actors and actresses to physically come in and show that they were still alive for the charges to be dropped. Even though no people were killed, a couple of animals actually were killed including two pigs, a coatimundi, a snake, a spider monkey (that gets its face chopped off and its brains eaten for real) and the aforementioned turtle. I didn't get back until about 4 a.m and went to sleep around 5 a.m. Tomorrow I'll see if I can put some writing up on here.

No comments:

Post a Comment